CloudSmartz has an exciting opportunity for an SDN Software Architect in our Rochester, NY office or Virginia office, with remote locations possible with some travel. This position requires an innovative and creative problem solver who provides expertise in architectural design, software leadership and guidance of leading-edge SDN/NFV technologies and industry best-practices. The position will combine that architecture expertise with other technology architects in working with delivery team in hands-on building and integration of network and information systems technologies of a leading-edge service.
The position requires a person who is willing to “jump in with both feet” and has the ability to handle complex design requirements in a fast-paced, leading-edge environment. The individual must possess a balance of extremely strong technical skills but have a good ability to propose and explain design solutions.
The SDN Software Architect is responsible for the overall technical design of the SDN/NFV SD-WAN software components that will integrate into an overall complex end-to-end service offering. Solid technical skills and knowledge in SDN Networking are a must and additional skills in software design, virtualization, API’s, and security are also required.
This is a very visible role that will combine technical expertise, design leadership, communication, planning, teamwork with other architect expertise and disciplines and alignment with program management on all deliveries.
- Creation and implementation of reference SDN enabled architecture design aligned to, and supportive of business needs, product and service offerings.
- Responsible for development of architecture that integrates SDN/NFV/SD-WAN with on-demand automation capabilities and near real-time performance criteria
- Facilitates and directs the core technology underpinnings that constitute the architecture of overall integrated systems for automated network services solution from an SDN perspective and all functional business and support needs
- Lead area of responsibility and collaborate with other technical service component architects to understand the implications of respective architectures on elements that maximize the value of information across the complete service design
- Responsible for the development and presentation of the SDN architecture and high level design specifications that underlies the service solution and then assists in transforming that vision through execution of full-service development
- Will become involved with the overall program management at the time of project inception and will be involved in assuring end-to-end service solution timelines are met for those deliveries, i.e. overall system architecture, all SDN related system selections, all high-level software designs for integration or new software functions
- Involved in overall service functional analysis leading to definition of the initial requirements and resulting design. Defines those functions to which SDN/NFV/SD-WAN and associated software comprise the SDN software needs. These functions are then developed as a technical architecture for the SDN operational software service solution. This role will be required to garner ‘buy in’ for that architecture and will remain involved throughout the balance of the project, helping to ensure that the agreed upon architecture is deployed and successful.
- Drives in-depth assessment of technologies to validate that the technology and architecture is appropriate for the overall service solution needs and communicates assessment to rest of the team
- Create and communicate cases for build vs buy and insource vs outsource decisions
- Selects and evaluates third-party SDN solutions to integrate as part of the overall architecture
- Maintains engagement with software development teams, third party partner/s, third party platform/s or service vendor/s to assure architecture is developed per high-level design and timeline
- Maintains engagement with test teams to assure architecture meets performance and key functional requirements
- Responsible for evaluation and assessment of change requests to architecture during development and test stages and responsible for maintaining architecture up to date on redesigns or evolution to next stage of service architecture
- Be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Telecomm Software Defined Networking
- Act as visionary and strategist for creation of new end-to-end SDN software technology in creation of new software network-service solutions
- Collaborative brainstorming and selling of ideas to Senior Leadership team
- Collaboratively participate in presenting and substantiating designs, pros and cons, budgets and timelines
- Demonstrating excellent oral, verbal, written, and presentation skills for effective communication between business organization, partners and customer corporate client(s)
Ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in SDN technologies and associated software. Candidate must be comfortable in dynamic atmosphere of a technical organization with a complex system design. Candidate must be organized and analytical, adept at working solo and in a team environment, able to design and implement per a project schedule. Additional preferred qualifications are:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Network Engineering or equivalent preferred
- 10+ years of leadership role in development and architecture of software network services and/or solutions
- 3-5 years of systems integration and/or implementation experience
- Strong experience with SDN, NFV configuration, integration and custom development
- Strong experience with SDN architectures and implementation experience
- Strong experience with developing network and SDN architectures
- Strong creative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong documentation skills in high level architectures and high-level software design
- Extensive experience with developing software architectures and software high level designs
- Extensive experience defining and implementing standards and best practices
- Extensive experience doing technology evaluations and feasibility studies to drive direction of solutions
- Experience with developing service automations
- Good knowledge and experience with APIs
- Good knowledge and experience with Virtualization platforms
- Good knowledge and experience with Cloud-service platforms and Micro services (AWS, Azure, or others)
- Ability to work independently on architecture and design elements
- Ability to work collaboratively on integrated architecture
- Ability to understand the business requirements and converting them into solution designs.
- Knowledge in web-based systems, service-based and enterprise application.
- Should have hands-on knowledge or expertise in some of the following technologies or equivalent: C++Java/J2EE, including SOAP, RESTful, .NET and related technologies (JSON, XML)
- Must demonstrate good judgment and pragmatic approach to delivering software architectures
- Should have participated in and be familiar with Agile (Scrum) project methodology and practices.
- Government Security Clearances are a plus
The position will be placed in Rochester, NY OR in Virginia (Reston-Richmond)